Thursday, October 30, 2008

A date with the richest man in Babylon


Last July, I decided to commit myself to a book club that meets once a month either on the first or second Saturday review a selected book. In fact I decided to join this club to take my reading habit a notch higher and to keep me busy at all times while I also explore more interesting books with diverse subjects. Simply put I want to be caught reading at all times when am not working. I’m such person who completely believes in meeting up and interacting with folks of dissimilar orientation. You know, to share ideas on issues, plans, exchange contacts and all that. But largely I’m a part of the Beacon Books Club for the reason that I strongly share in the philosophy that yes indeed “reading maketh a man”.

Basically members acquire the chosen book to read before the next month’s meeting when we review by way of sharing thoughts on the principles discussed by the author. There’s an attention-grabbing format that directs the entire discussion. Just like economists, we agree to disagree. At the end we all leave imbibing wisdom, practicable knowledge and encouragement to spur us on. Isn’t this a worthy cause? One that should be egged on in families, neighbourhoods, communities, schools, work places (only @ lunchtime else we anger the boss…), etc. Can you imagine what successful Nations we will build? To learn the secrets of achievements of higher and improved places we have heard of. They wantonly tell us that the African does not like to read, let alone to discover. That clandestinely hide the furtive knowledge of wealth in a book and for ages, generations upon generations the African may never discover. We can challenge this ignoble assertion if we commit ourselves to study and strive to know all things. Dare call me a materialist! I think I’m being ideal. I’ve always liked to find out the truths of Africa’s untold stories. The hidden truths of our forebears. The exciting tales of how the kermits made on the river Nile to build magnificent pyramids and statutes in ancient Egypt. Same can be told of city of Lalibella in Ethiopia, the study of astrology in Mauritania way before Galileo, the University that was established in Timbuktu centuries ago. With the tools of this age the comp temporary African can build and achieve more.

For the first time last weekend I heard about the book-the richest man in Babylon by George S. Clason. It was the preferred paperback for next month’s review. I’ve just completed reading my copy and boy! there’s so much wisdom in this book that I can help than to share with you the wise sayings that I noted. Indeed it’s a book I’ll recommend to anybody seeking to be wealthy. It’s such a treasure to me now. This is a book full of parables and practicable principles to building an empire of your own. The parables I cannot recount now but here are some thought-provoking wise words for you.

No one lends his entire fortune, not even to his best friend.

A man’s wealth is not in the purse he carries.

A part of all you earn is yours to keep.

Wealth, like a tree, grows from a tiny seed.

Every fool must learn.

Why trust the knowledge of a brick maker about jewels.

If you would know the truth about sheep, go the herdsman.

Advice is one thing that is freely given away, but watch that you take only what is worth having.

He who takes advice about his savings from one who is inexperienced in such matters shall pay with his savings for proving the falsity of their opinions.

Opportunity wastes no time with those who are unprepared.

Will power is the unflinching purpose to carry a task you set for yourself to fulfilment.

Wealth grows wherever men exert energy.

Desires must be simple and definite. They defeat their own purpose should they be too many, too confusing, or beyond a man’s training to accomplish.

The more of wisdom we know, the more we may earn.

The man who seeks to learn more of his craft shall be richly rewarded.

Good luck waits to come to the man who accepts opportunity.

To attract good luck to oneself, it is necessary to take advantage of opportunities.

Good luck can be enticed by accepting opportunity.

Wealth that comes quickly goes the same way.

Wealth that stays to give enjoyment and satisfaction to its owner comes gradually because it is a child born of knowledge and persistent purpose.

Where there is determination, the way can be found.

Work well done, does good to the man who does it.

Think deeply about these wise words, for myself I’ve already started its practice. I can’t wait for the next review date to hear all the fine contributions from other fellows. If you plan visiting Accra (Ghana) one of these days, we will be at Sunny fm at North Ridge on the second Saturday of October, the next hour right after midday. Cheers!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger